Monday, May 2, 2011

TRD intake

Well, I didn't sell my TRD intake from my previous FJ.  I never put it up for sale since it was missing the rubber piece that sits under the box and has two threads sticking out of both sides.  Since I was missing the piece, I bought a long screw at Home Depot and found a bicycle handlebar adapter that was the perfect size to use as a spacer.  The nice thing about it is that it was able to fit once the long screw was in place.  It took a bit of work to get everything just right but after I tightened all the bolts inside the airbox everything was just perfect.  No movement from the airbox at all.

The filter was extremely dirty.  I had an old AEM cleaning kit from one of my earlier automobiles and used that to clean.  There was so much grime it took about 4-5 sprays of cleaner and rinsing from inside to outside.  Once it dried, I used the oil from the kit and let it soak for a day.  There was a little excess that dripped off into the rubber end, which I wiped off.  I also checked the filter a few days after install and there were a couple of drips at the bottom of the airbox that I cleaned up.

Installation was fairly simple with the exception of the homemade spacer.

Finished install.

No comments: