Monday, May 2, 2011

CB Radio

Well, my dad had an old CB in his shed and I noticed it when I went for a visit.  The middle of the antenna was missing a cover and it looked a little old.  The cigarette lighter adapter didn't even work and I had to buy one from Radio Shack.  I spray painted the antenna flat black.  The center was also a copper wire wrapped around a nylon cylinder that had screw threads on both sides.  Unfortunately, nylon doesn't hold up very well when screwed into metal.  I left the antenna in the back and it snapped the nylon thread after the tire changing place I went to threw my old tires in the back.  I then soldered the wire to the top part of the antenna, epoxied over that, wrapped it in wire loom and electrical tape.  This wasn't sturdy enough so I bought some heavy duty shrink tubing at Home Depot. This did the trick.  I also didn't have a bracket and I wasn't about to dish out over $40 for the Bandi mount. That's the cost of a cheap CB radio!  So I took an old piece of metal from my homemade axe and shovel mount and drilled some holes into it to fit the antenna bracket.  It fit nicely with a screw that I had to cut to the correct length so that it would not touch the door.

Overall the bracket was flimsy as certain folks pointed out.  So I went back to Home Depot and found a much thicker chunk of metal from which I plan on making the next generation bracket.

So a fully functioning CB radio for $11 --> $6 for the cigarette lighter adapter with fuse, $2 bracket and $3 for shrink wrap = $11.  Seeing that purchasing a cheap CB is about $30, the bandi mount is $40 and an antenna is another $35 or so, I think I made out.  I'm also not planning on using it much so it made sense not to spend $85-$100 for a CB setup.  I would also have to tune it, which would cost another $30 or so for an SWR meter.  This one was already tuned for the antenna it came with.

Original equipment and color

Nice coat of flat black Rustoleum

Bracket and original antenna mount


Side view of full antenna.  Thick part up top is the nylon copper wire area that was reinforced.

No comments: