Friday, December 9, 2011

Subwoofer install




I picked up a subwoofer from someone who was getting rid of theirs.  It took about 10 minutes to install.  First I had to take off the two covers on the passenger side wheel well area in the trunk.  Then the hooks were unscrewed.  Next was placing the subwoofer into the empty hole that was left.  In order to screw in the top screws of the subwoofer you need to take off the cover.  This required a hex key for the four bolts/screws.  Once the cover is off, use the hook screws to screw in the top of the subwoofer.  Then the cover goes back on the sub.  There was a plug already for the sub, which was easy enough to connect.

Next was the dash switch install - pic #1.  That was even easier.  I took a small flat screwdriver and popped the blank cover.  Behind it was the plug for the switch.  Just plug it in, push the switch in and you're ready to go.

The guy I bought it from was using the lower cover and screws for another aftermarket sub he was placing in there.  As a result, I had to order the cover from the dealership - pic #3.  So that is the final step.

The sub does make a very noticeable difference but only for the lower bass frequencies.  If your music contains mostly treble and a little bass, then the sub is not noticeable since any bass that comes out goes through the large speakers in the front.  But when you do have a song with lots of bass, this sub kicks in and rumbles.  Many times I have lowered the volume since the sub was overpowering.  Sometimes even having to lower the bass through the head unit or switching it off altogether.  I've had other stock and some aftermarket systems that did not compare with the loudness of the FJ system w/ sub.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What year FJ was this? I have a 2012 FJ that didn't come with factory subwoofer and I want to buy a used one. I don't want to run wires, however, I can't seem to find the plug or wires that you are talkin about in the rear well. any info would be helpful.

Manuel said...

2007. The plug sits right above the lower cover. On the sub it is at the bottom. There is little to no slack between the two plug ends.