Sunday, March 1, 2009

Tuffy Light Bar Install

Right side before bolting lights on bar. I used some loom from Home Depot and electrical tape to make it look decent.


Left side. The rear cover is held in place using the bolts from the lights. Once it was in place, all the loom is not visible. The curved part of the loom was a little hard to tuck in so I suggest that you don't leave any slack as I did.

Finally mounted and aligned. Had to measure each side to make sure the bar was level on the roof rack. I used a couple of towels on the roof to make sure that the bar didn't scratch the paint. I used a smaller towel that I folded to lift the sides of the bar to the correct height and then tightened the bolts. The lights were also aligned so that they were perpendicular to the roof. The covers were again sprayed with black plasti-dip so that they match the brush guard lights.

Another pic from the front.


Side shot of clamps and bolts. Looks good besides the silver bolts. I might eventually swap them out for black ones.
Angled picture. The electrical tape on the right is just holding the wires where I plan on making a plug. Wiring them up will be sometime in the near future when I can find a non-drill method that looks clean. If not then drilling will be my second option using some silicone auto sealant that one of the members of fjcruiserforums suggested using. One nice option about this bar is that you can mount it on the top of the roof rack using the holes you see on the bottom of the bar so that the lights sit a little higher. The option I chose actually gives me about 5 inches to the top of the garage door. So if I want to lift the FJ a few inches it would be feasible.

No comments: