Sunday, February 15, 2009

Roof Rack Mounts

I was reading about Hi-Lift jacks on fjcruiserforums and I came across a link on how to make your own cheap mounts for mounting the jack on the roof. So I decided to tackle this task since the custom mounts were $89 for two not including shipping. The price of these came out to about $29 for two. So I saved >$60 with little work involved!

I found some hexagonal racing weights that I bought for $12.50 a piece shipped and ordered four. Then I bought two 1/2 inch zinc coated steel bolts, four 1/2 washers, two 1/2 nuts, and two 1/2 lock nuts from Lowes. The bolts were threaded all the way up which made it much easier and cheaper than buying a die and threading the other side.

The nice thing about these is that you can use any wheel lock instead of the lock nut, which is easy to take off if you have an adjustable wrench, and it will keep your Hi-Lift from being stolen. No need for an additional lock.

Here is the procedure I used:


All parts for two clamps.

Bolt after top was dremmeled off. It took a little bit of work to get it to the point where the bolt would fit into it. This was the hardest part of the whole procedure. Took about 10 minutes per bolt to get it just right.

One of the guys at fjcruiserforums said to use a bolt to hold the post into the racing weight which I followed. Just screw in the thread to the racing weight, making sure that the bolt does not portrude through the other side or it will scratch your rack. Then put the bolt in and tighten.

This is the final product with washers and all.

Top view. I made sure to use the opposite side where the racing weight bolts were located. This way if you decide to mount the post on the top it won't collect water in the holes and possibly rust the bolts.

Side view of both clamps.



Front clamp.





Rear clamp.

Now off to buy a Hi-Lift!


No comments: