Friday, October 18, 2019

Cargo box

I had some extra plywood lying around after building a base for a shed.  I had thought about buying a manufactured cargo box but all of them ran for $1000 shipped.  As a result I took some measurements and figured how much extra plywood I would need.  After all of the extra materials - plywood, rails, lock, handle, turnbuckles, eye hooks and spray paint, it came out to about $100.  I had screws and nails for the nail gun already, so these would add extra cost if I didn't have them already.  It took a while to make the box since I took pieces back and forth between the truck and saw horses.  The result looks great and is functional.  I had to raise the box a bit so that the drawer would not snag the rear mat when opening.

Rails and hooks.

 Drawer and box for testing purposes.

 Drawer extended.


 Closeup of rails.

 Finished and painted with tie downs.

 Bottom with rubber feet.

 Turnbuckles installed

Installed with lock.

No comments: