Saturday, April 29, 2017

TRD CAI intake issue

I decided to clean out my TRD intake filter this past weekend and found something troubling.  I noticed that the rubber couplings for the TRD intake were cracked and melting.  The larger piece connecting the filter box to the pipe had a small hole underneath that I had to temporarily close with some duct tape that I had lying around.
Large coupling that connects airbox to pipe.

Smaller coupling connecting pipe to throttle body.

I just want to say that I have bought other cold-air intakes and never had this problem.  This was the worst I have seen and was wondering why Toyota would sell something that would deteriorate in less than 8 years.  All my other hoses, which have to perform at hotter temperatures than the intake, are fine.

After researching where I could buy replacement parts, I found out that Toyota did not manufacture this intake.  The company that produced it is called aFe.  I contacted them and apparently they have the two couplings. Unfortunately, they were around $60 for both. I looked elsewhere and found some turbo couplings on ebay.  They both came out to be about $20, were three ply silicone tubing that are high temperature and high pressure tolerant.  I was even able to choose the color I wanted.


New vs. old couplings.

Installed.

The new couplings were a 4" to 4" with bump and a 3" to 2.75" reducer. They were a bit hard to place them on each opening, but once I stretched them enough over the holes, they fit nice and tight.  A larger coupling for the throttle body would probably be a better fit. Next time I will buy the 3" to 3" coupling.  The thickness of the new couplings added to the snug fit. The older ones were much thinner since they were one ply.  Once the clamps were in place, the installation was finished.

So if you have this intake, make sure that you check the couplings.  If a piece of this rubber is sucked into the throttle body and into the engine, you will have major issues.  Not only this, but holes in the couplings will also suck in air behind the filter and all the dust and grime will eventually make its way to the throttle body and into the engine.

2 comments:

dq said...

I literally currently having the same issue!! I went to purchase the TRD CAI HARDWARE replacement and it's going to take 2-3 weeks...

thanks for posting this!

Unknown said...

I have the samee exact thing happened to my air intake. look everywhere but I cannot find one. please help me where to get it.