Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Skid Plate Mounting

Well, after being impatient waiting for either Carmax to get their bolt order in for the skid plate or the guy who sold it to me to send the spacers/bolts, I decided to manufacture my own. I went to Home Depot and purchased some bolts that weren't long enough along with some galvanized nipples which I cut to 2 1/4 inches as a spacer that fit perfectly around the bolt. So after trying Lowes and calling Carmax, they didn't have any M8 125 thread bolts that were longer than 70mm. Then I tried Papa Auto Parts and they only had 100mm so I bought these. They were much longer than needed. I think the 90mm bolts would have done the trick. Along with the spacer I put on two washers, one touching the factory skid plate on the top part of the spacer and one touching the bottom part of the "bling" accessory skid plate. I also added some lock washers next to the bolt heads.



I didn't follow the Toyota instructions once again. I put the brackets on the front but immediately afterwards bolted two bolts in the front to hold the plate. Then I put the long bolts/spacers/washers on the back and everything was set. Only took about 15 or so minutes. Then placing the rest of the bolts on and torquing them took another 20 minutes. This was the easiest install yet.



Here's the final product:

















No comments: