Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Boztec CB mount

My handmade mount was not standing up to the weight if the antenna and spring. I decided to buy a Boztec mount after reading up on it. I also gave Boztec a call to discuss the difference between the HAM and CB mounts. Apparently the owner gave me a call back!  After discussing the differences I went with the CB mount. I also ordered a new cable and connector. I was impressed at the thickness and quality of the mount.

Once it was all hooked up it looked like this -
                         Boztec mount with logo.

It was a very easy install. I mounted the cable and connector prior to placing on the FJ.  In order to get a good ground connection I sanded the back side of the mount and connected a wire that I grounded to the chassis where the jack is located.  I didn't want to sand the paint off the FJ, so grounding with the wire prevented this. 
Next was tuning. I hooked up the SWR meter and looked at the results. It was a little high at 2.5 but I had forgotten that I screwed in the tip all the way when I took it off. So after tuning the tip I obtained the same SWR as I had with my original setup - 1.5 on ch 1 and almost no reflection on ch. 40.




No comments: