Monday, March 9, 2009

Hella 500 Auxiliary Lights Bar Wiring

I thought it was time to wire up the light bar and decided to poke around to see how I could set up the wires without having to drill through the roof. There was a spot down the channel of the window where it looked like I could pass two wires without any issues. From there I was able to pass it through the engine bay.


First I had to take off the plastic cover so I could grab the wires. I broke off the tab on one of the fasteners closest to the window but I just used a regular fastener and it worked fine.

Plastic cover taken off. The relays were just mounted in the same spot where the brush guard relays were. I just wound some electrical tape around them and they were fine.

This is where I channeled the wire through. There's enough depth on the window seal to squeeze two wires in. I then found some 3M door edge guard that was chromed, spray painted it flat black and stuck it on. You can't even tell that the FJ isn't made like that unless you look at the other side. It's very unnoticeable.
I loosened the bolts on the roof rack and passed the wires underneath the rubber part. This actually held the wires tight enough to hold them in the groove between the white panels. At first I had the ground for the lights going to a bolt on the light bar. Since this didn't work, I decided to take out my multimeter and check continuity on the bolts for the roof rack. The bolt worked great. I took off the rear one and screwed the connector into it.

The results. When I was standing in front of them they were so warm that it was almost like having a small heater. I haven't tested them in the dark yet, but when I do, I'll take some pictures.

1 comment:

2008 FJ said...

How can these racks be locked to help prevent theft?