Sunday, February 8, 2009

Hella 500 Auxiliary Brush Guard Lights Wiring

Well, after the brushguard install I waited for a nice day to wire up the cables and this weekend was it. I first laid out all the wiring in place and decided where to place the relay seen in the pictures below. Then I bought some wire loom at Home Depot to use to hide the wires and give it more of a factory look.

Step #1 - DISCONNECT THE BATTERY :)

This is a picture of the passenger light. You can see the wire loom and the ground cable coming out which I attached to the one of the bolts of the brushguard bracket. The ground cable is blue and the other cable coming out of the light is black. I soldered the black line to the black wire in the kit.

This is the driver's side light grounding wire which I attached to one of the hood cable bolts. I checked the continuity using a multimeter from both mounting points to make sure that it went to some point on the frame which it did. The black wire was again soldered to the black wire in the kit which goes to the relay.

This is what it looks like from the top. I used the loom to go under the hood release and then passed it through a hole underneath the driver side brushguard bracket. I also zip tied it to the two grille mounting points.
This is the back of the driver's side light which shows a couple of things that I did. First I passed the loom through the hole and passed it through underneath the battery tray where some other factory wiring was going through. I had to take the battery clamp off and slide it over a little to do so but in the end it looked great. I used zip ties again. There is also a blue splicer/connector that goes into the high-beam wire (red w/blue stripe) and connects it to the green wire of the Hella install kit. The green wire then goes all the way inside your car to the switch. You just place both wires in and use pliers to push down on the metal plate that goes through the insulation and touches both wires. It looks like a W.
This is the red wire that is used to connect
to the red terminal on the battery. Again I used wire loom between the battery and the fuse box to make it look good.
Here is a nifty place where I found I could mount the relay. I had to use the rotary tool to take the lip off so it would sit flat. You can see the lip on the other side. It was also a great spot to connect the blue ground wire from the relay to the chassis. I used the large rubber plug to push the wires into the cabin of the car. There is a little black nub that I sliced into to pass the wires. It seems to be there for some other wiring installation so I just decided to use it. It comes in right next to the pedals inside the car.

These are the two wires you need for the switch. The green went out to the splice of the high beam and the yellow was from the relay.

There was also a blue wire for grounding the switch which I had trouble figuring out where to put. I finally found a spot up near the rubber seal where a bolt could be placed. Since I had an extra I decided to use it as ground. Right now I have the switch just tucked under the dash until I can figure out how to mount it nicely.
Once I hooked up the battery again I flipped the switch and put on the high beams. They worked!
Another view.

In the dark. Looks ominous. It would look better with roof lights. :)
I also found out that they will stay on during the day unless you turn your switch off. The daytime running lights use a lower intensity of the high beam and powers on the auxiliary lights using the default installation instructions for the Hella 500's. So make sure to switch off the lights unless you're using them. :)

No comments: